Wednesday, March 21, 2007

Only Love Is Holy - Lorna N. Figueroa


As the Lenten Season comes closer, may we remember to make this a season for reflection.

I would like to share with you this poem that tells us simply but eloquently about God’s love.

God’s love is unconditional. He is not a jealous and punishing Father because “punishment brings satisfaction only to twisted minds”. Our Father wants us to lovingly communicate with Him simply like a child to a father not so much with “ holy words” because “words are not holy; only love is holy.” He does not make bargains with us; does not give us more blessings in exchange for spending more hours in church or reciting holy words. He blesses us with more gifts in life because He wants to and He knows we derserve more.

God’s love is also merciful. At times when we forget that we are merely His creation, when we turn away from Him, “misunderstand or even disobey His words”, He is there, just waiting for us to run back to Him, talk to Him once more, ask for mercy and forgiveness. He is waiting with open arms to welcome us back again.



MAGIC GOD

Dick Summer

First, God lived alone and God was magic. But there was nothing to care that he was God.
And magic isn’t magic to the magician.

So God used His magic. He struck light and planets into time. And they were good because they were God's. But they were so much less than God.They couldn't care for Him. And the great God was still alone.

Then God used His magic to make living things that could swim and walk and fly.
They obeyed every word God spoke… for they were His. They never questioned Him.
But magic grows on questions that magicians never answer.
So God still hungered for a creature who could care

Then with majestic humor, God made a Mardi Gras king. God shared His own magic with a
muddy ape … Who came to call himself Man.

Like all creatures, man was God’s. But unlike all the rest some of God was man’s.
And God’s laughter thunders as man pretends to be more magic than he is mud.
Only God knows the measure of magic in each man.
God measures each man separately. Man must do no less for God.

If God has done so much to have a creature who can believe in Him …
When I believe, I satisfy God. God could not be satisfied if He did not believe in me.
And so I may call Him my God.

My God doesn’t listen for holy words. Words aren’t holy … Only love is holy.
He doesn't send hunger, sickness, and bad luck to warn me away from some hell.

My God has balanced the world so that it neither gives nor takes.
Clouds become rain, becomes ocean, becomes clouds …
For the arctic, there is the tropic … for man … woman …for harvest, hunger … for life, death.

Eternal hell would be out of balance for a handful of years spent on such a limited heaven
as this earth.

The only hell I know is my own guilt. My God never calls me guilty because He needs me for His
satisfaction. And punishment brings satisfaction only to twisted minds.

I sometimes call myself guilty, because I’m not as loving as my God.

My God doesn’t swap me a better job for an hour of singing and collection baskets every
Saturday or Sunday. He doesn’t have to make bargains.

My God has seen my hands in many different kinds of cookie jars.
But He’s also seen them break lunches in half for hungry friends to share.
And my God understands what it means to be hungry.

He’s seen my hands on other women. But He’s also seen me hold my woman...loving...sleeping through the night.
And my God understands what it means to be lonely.

My God, You’ve let Yourself need me and without Your will I would not be.
It is sometimes hard to live with one who needs you.
Hurts are so much deeper than between those who only partly care.

When I misunderstand, or even disobey Your word …
Please remember You made me this way, so You wouldn’t be alone.

Then have mercy, Magic God.

Magic God, a poem by Dick Summer, Lovin Touch III, Bantam Books, 1974, USA

8 comments:

Me said...

Thanks Lorna.

A beautiful message.

Anonymous said...

To Lorna on her "Only Love Is Holy" & Dick Summer's "Magic God",

I say AMEN!!!

Anonymous said...

Thank you too!
It was very nice & uplifting. Something we should remember.

Anonymous said...

Trully indeed, God loves us all. As in John 3:16,"For God so loved the world that he gave his only son", that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life.(17)For God did not send his Son into the world to condemn the world, but to save the world through him.This is God's uncondiotinal love for us he offered his Son as a living sacrifice for the redemption of our sins.
Let the peace God and His love be with you All! "Happy Easter", everyone!

Anonymous said...

That is also the God I know.

Anonymous said...

Lorna's literary piece is so relevant in our times, not only in this Lenten season, for us all to ponder and digest.

Thank you.

Anonymous said...

I'd like to share a text message from JOSIE LORBES-DELA CRUZ,
my friend for forty years. She's a very strong woman inspite of her liver illness:

"God knows what's best for us, so why should we complain....
We always want the sunshine but He knows there must be rain...
We love the sound of laughter and the merriment of cheer...
But our hearts will lose their tenderness if we never shed a tear....
GOD tests us often with suffering & sorrow...
He tests us not to punish us but to help us meet tomorrow.
So whenever we are in trouble and everything goes wrong...
It is just GOD working on us to make our spirit strong.."

And just like magic, her illness was cured.
Our God is indeed a "MAGIC GOD".

Anonymous said...

To Lorna, thank you for sharing the poem. It begs to open our hearts and minds in understanding our relationship with God in simpler terms. In a way, it also paraphrases how and why life is, as much as it forces us to try to recognize the varied compromises each human being faces and that it is never too late to handle ourselves better.

As well, a beautiful, heartfelt reminder from Diane’s friend, Josie Lorbes-Dela Cruz! Please extend my sincere appreciation for the meaningful analysis of pain, sorrow and joy. Love it!

Google