Sunday, February 11, 2007

Poem by Elizabeth Browning - Anonymous

How do I love thee?

How do I love thee? Let me count the ways.
I love thee to the depth and breath and height
My soul can reach, when feeling out of sight
For the ends of Being and Ideal Grace

I love thee to the level of everyday’s
Most quiet need, by sun & candlelight.
I love thee freely, as men strive for Right,
I love thee purely, as they turn from Praise

I love thee with the passion to use
In my old griefs, and with my childhood faith
I love thee with a love I seemed to lose
With my lost saints- I love thee with the breath
Smiles, tears, of all my life- and if God choose,
I shall love thee better after death.

Happy Valentines!

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Beautiful words. One of my favorite poem. Happy Valentines to all.

Anonymous said...

This poem is comparable to what i really feel about the love of my life. I can't count the ways...

Me said...

HAPPY VALENTINE TO YOU ALL!

Anonymous said...

Happy Valentine's Day everyone!

Here's one of my favorites by Rosemond GĂ©rard:

Car vois-tu, chaque jour je t'aime davantage,
Aujourd'hui plus qu'hier et bien moins que demain...

(“For, you see, each day I love you more, Today more than yesterday and less than tomorrow”)

Anonymous said...

Happy Valentines Everyday
&
Happy Pig Year!!

Anonymous said...

That passionate poem by Browning
brings back poignant memories of a long lost love of my youth. It brings back an ache, a pain and a yearning for something eternally lost and unnattainable.
I re-mourned and shed a tear for a love long gone but now seem so alive and vibrant in my heart.

Thank you.

Anonymous said...

I was 18 still in highschool, my first love was 17. She was so pretty I sometimes held my breath when I looked at her. Many loving,tender moments I whispered to her " I love thee with the breath, smiles, tears of all my life.."
It is sad that life did not follow a happy ending script. We both drifted apart and moved on with our lives. In later years, I subconsciously began to chase that sweet, innocent first love of youth. Too late. That magic is gone forever. I am an old man now. There seem to be no ending to ease the pain of a love lost.

Anonymous said...

Ahhh……..indeed, true love is timeless, its ways inexplicable such that at some point it makes you act or look like a fool---pleasantly, endearingly foolish, that is.

Google