Sunday, July 25, 2010

Best Poem In The World

BEST POEM IN THE WORLD

I was shocked, confused, bewildered
As I entered Heaven's door,
Not by the beauty of it all,
Nor the lights or its decor.

But it was the folks in Heaven
Who made me sputter and gasp--
The thieves, the liars, the sinners,
The alcoholics and the trash.

There stood the kid from seventh grade
Who swiped my lunch money twice.
Next to him was my old neighbor
Who never said anything nice.

Herb, who I always thought
Was rotting away in hell,
Was sitting pretty on cloud nine,
Looking incredibly well.

I nudged Jesus, 'What's the deal?
I would love to hear Your take.
How'd all these sinners get up here?
God must've made a mistake.

'And why's everyone so quiet,
So somber - give me a clue.'
'Hush, child,' He said, 'they're all in shock.
No one thought they'd be seeing you.'


JUDGE NOT.

Remember...Just going to church doesn't make you a Christian
any more than standing in your garage makes you a car .

9 comments:

Jill said...

nice poem! thanks for sharing!

Bacongnon man aco said...

Indeed, a beautiful poem. One poem I like very much was written by the late National Artist Jose Garcia Villa, supposedly while he was living in self-exile in New York City. It goes this way:

Alone . . .

In the park . . .

A crowd . . .

It is supposed to be a romance/tragedy kind of poem. But it can be interpreted in a variety of ways. I think it shows the genius of Jose Garcia Villa.

Misbil said...

I never like romance/tragedy poems, stories or movies.

I like inspiring/uplifting stories.

Bacongnon man aco said...

The interpretation I like best about this poem by Villa speaks of two lovers happily alone in the park when a third person came and it soon became a crowd (as in 3 is a crowd). A romance of lovers that became a tragedy of a lost love when a third person comes between them. The third person need not be a real person. It could certain conditions, factors or elements that come between two lovers that pull them away from each other.

A great many of those true loves are lost because of interventions like these.

Misbil said...

Hmmmm....

Bacongnon man aco said...

The "Hmmmmm" - that's intriguing.

Misbil said...

An example of Jose Garcia Villa's
"comma poems."

"In, my, undream, of, death,
I, unspoke, the, Word.
With, my, own, breath,
I, broke, the, cord."

Very appropriate for someone who's dying.

Bacongnon man aco said...

Villa was said to have become an atheist. Could the poem be the subtle manifestation by Villa of his loss of his belief in God or, if you will, severing his relationship with religion?

M.I. said...

I like that comment about standing in your garage doesn't make you a car. What is the title of this poem? It's not "Best Poem in the World" is it? ;)

Google